On November 14, Upstate AHEC, in collaboration with The Greenville Health System Diabetes Education Department, will sponsor the 2014 World Diabetes Day Conference. The conference addresses real-life emotional aspects of diabetes and will assist participants with developing the skills to help people with diabetes overcome the emotional and behavioral obstacles to living well with the disease. The conference will be held in the Robert Coleman Medical Staff Auditorium at Greenville Memorial Hospital, 701 Grove Road, Greenville, South Carolina from 8:30 AM until 4:00 PM. The target audience includes physicians, registered nurses, dietitians, diabetes educators, certified health education specialists, health educators, mental health professionals, social workers, licensed professional counselors and therapists, and interested others.
Topics presented at the conference will include bedside teaching and motivation, case management/care coordination and successful patient discharge, barriers to diabetes control and diabetes self-management, and decreasing readmission using telehealth and the bionic pancreas. Faculty include:
- Bobbie Rhodes, RN, MS, an Organization Development Consultant with the Greenville Health System
- Tracey Weaver, BSN, MBA, the Manager of Ambulatory Care Management with the Greenville Health System
- Bruce Latham, MD, an endocrinology specialist with the Greenville Health System
- Maggie Bobo, MS, the Director of Telemedicine at the Greenville Health System
- Manasi Sinha, MD, MPH, Pediatric Endocrinology Clinical Fellow at Mass General Hospital for Children and a Research Fellow in the Diabetes Research Center at Massachusetts General Hospital
World Diabetes Day (WDD) is celebrated every year on November 14 and engages millions of people worldwide in diabetes advocacy and awareness. The World Diabetes Day campaign is led by the International Diabetes Federation (IDF) and its member associations. The campaign draws attention to issues of paramount importance and keeps diabetes firmly in the public spotlight. The World Diabetes Day theme for 2014-2016 is Healthy Living and Diabetes.
If you would like more information about the conference or have questions, please contact Bennie Pettit at email@example.com or 864-349-1162.